Ultimate Standings: Our Methodology
Just how did ESPN The Magazine come up with their franchise rankings?
We created the Ultimate Standings in five steps.
First, Markitecture, a Norwalk, Conn., marketing consulting firm, conducted a poll of 1,000 fans across North America to determine what they want most in return for their emotional and financial investment in their favorite teams. The survey covered 21 topics, from "has strong leader as coach" to "provides avenues for fan feedback."
Second, through ESPN.com, we asked fans of MLB, NBA, NFL and NHL teams to rate their clubs in these 21 categories. We gathered more than 80,000 responses.
Third, we grouped those responses into seven categories.
Fourth, for an eighth category, Bang for the Buck, we examined how efficiently teams convert dollars from fans into on-field wins (regular and postseason). Fan costs were determined by researchers at the Warsaw Sports Marketing Center at the University of Oregon.
Fifth, we combined each teamıs scores (not its rankings) across all eight categories into one final, weighted score, taking into account, for example, that fans rated Affordability as about 50% more important than Stadium Experience.
The result: a ranking that combines the fan perspective with an objective measure of how well teams turn fan dollars into wins.
Click here to return to the Ultimate Standings.
ESPN TOP HEADLINES
- Source: Cousins to start in place of RG III
- Sources: Texas' Brown poised to step down
- Sources: Alabama offers Saban new extension
- Tigers' Malzahn awarded Coach of the Year
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
"SportsNation" on ESPN2!
Tickets To SportsNation
SportsNation on Facebook
THIS WEEK'S CHATS
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Jake Trotter
- 1:00 PMCubs with Jesse Rogers
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Schlabach
- 1:00 PMNHL with Craig Custance
- 1:30 PMPTI co-host Michael Wilbon
- 1:30 PMESPNChicago Bears Chat
- 2:00 PMBoxing with Brian Campbell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Stephania Bell
- 3:00 PMNBA with Michael Wallace
- 3:00 PMNHL with Barry Melrose
- 11:00 AMFantasy's Eric Karabell
- 12:00 PMNFL with Matt Williamson
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Ivan Maisel
- 1:00 PMMMA with Brett Okamoto
- 1:00 PMNBA Insider Chad Ford
- 1:00 PMCowboys with Taylor
- 2:00 PMRavens with Hensley
- 2:00 PMNCAA FB with Kevin Gemmell
- 3:00 PMFantasy's Chris Harris
- 3:00 PMNHL with Katie Strang
- 4:00 PMNFL columnist Ashley Fox
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Chatmon
- 5:00 PMWeAreSC's Garry Paskwietz
- 11:00 AMFantasy Sports' AJ Mass
- 11:00 AMPatriots with Mike Reiss
- 12:00 PMNCAA FB with Rittenberg
- 1:00 PMNCAA FB with Chris Low
- 1:00 PMNFL Insider Mike Sando
- 2:00 PM49ers with Bill Williamson
- 2:00 PMNHL with Scott Burnside
- 2:00 PMFootball guru Mel Kiper
- 2:00 PMMechelle Voepel on WNBA
- 2:30 PM'Hawks with Scott Powers
- 3:00 PMNCAA FB with Ted Miller
- 3:00 PMNBA Insider Amin Elhassan
- 3:00 PMDolphins with Walker
- 4:00 PMKC Joyner on Fantasy NFL
- 4:00 PMNCAA FB with Adelson
- 4:00 PMTitans with Paul Kuharsky