Comets add two players in dispersal draft
NEW YORK -- The Phoenix Mercury selected 6-foot-1 forward Penny Taylor with the first pick in the WNBA dispersal draft of Cleveland Rockers players during a conference call Tuesday.
The Washington Mystics chose center/forward Chasity Melvin with the second pick, and the San Antonio Silver Stars took forward LaToya Thomas with the third selection.
The Houston Comets, who on Monday gave up their second-round pick (24th overall) in the 2004 WNBA draft to Connecticut for the Sun's eighth pick in Tuesday's dispersal draft, added two players -- center Pollyanna Johns Kimbrough as the No. 8 selection and forward/center Lucienne Berthieu with the 11th pick.
Rockers guard/forward Merlakia Jones, who is an unrestricted free agent, was not available for selection in the dispersal draft.
A complete list of Tuesday's draft picks:
1. Phoenix: Penny Taylor, F, 6-1
2. Washington: Chasity Melvin, C/F, 6-3
3. San Antonio: LaToya Thomas, F, 6-2
4. New York: Ann Wauters, C, 6-4
5. Indiana: Deanna Jackson, F, 6-2
6. Seattle: Betty Lennox, G, 5-8
7. Minnesota: Helen Darling, G, 5-6
8. Houston (from Connecticut): Pollyanna Johns Kimbrough, C, 6-3
9. Charlotte: Mery Andrade, F, 6-0
10. Sacramento: Jennifer Butler, C, 6-3
11. Houston: Lucienne Berthieu, F/C, 6-0
12. Los Angeles: Isabelle Fijalkowski, C, 6-5
13. Detroit: Jennifer Rizzotti, G, 5-6
MORE WOMEN'S BASKETBALL HEADLINES
- Hoosiers get $40M gift to fix up Assembly Hall
- No. 2 Duke bounces back with win over Albany
- Bias, No. 13 Cowgirls hold off pesky Spartans
- No. 9 Baylor extends home win streak to 66