Ford tore ACL against Sparks before brawl broke out
AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- Forward Cheryl Ford will miss the remainder of the regular season and playoffs due to an ACL tear in her right knee, the Detroit Shock said Wednesday. The injury was diagnosed after an MRI Wednesday morning.
Ford suffered the injury against Los Angeles on Tuesday when she came down from grabbing a rebound with 2:06 left to play in the fourth quarter. She left the game but returned for the final minute.
Ford tried to restrain Plenette Pierson during an altercation with Sparks forward Candace Parker with 4.6 seconds remaining and left the floor in a wheelchair.
Ford, who had micro-fracture surgery on her left knee this past offseason, has appeared in 24 games this season averaging 10.1 points, 8.7 rebounds and 1.0 seals in 26.3 minutes per game.
Analysis• Voepel: Sparks' suspensions too light
• Voepel: Personalities involved a volatile mix
• Hill: Female athletes lose tempers, too
News• WNBA hands down suspensions
• WNBA reviewing Sparks-Shock scuffle
• Detroit's Ford out for season with torn ACL
• L.A. edges Shock after bench-clearing ending
Video• Leslie: 'A physical game from start to finish'
• Scuffle mars end of Sparks' victory
• Postgame comments from Laimbeer, Mahorn