Sun rally from 11-point deficit to beat Mercury

UNCASVILLE, Conn. -- Connecticut Sun coach Mike Thibault used one word to summarize a wild game against the Phoenix Mercury on Friday night.

"Wow," Thibault said.

Tina Charles scored 17 points and Asjha Jones had 16 points and 11 rebounds as the Sun rallied from an 11-point deficit in the third quarter and from five points down over the final 3½ minutes to beat the Mercury 95-92.

Connecticut had to survive Diana Taurasi's potential game-tying 3-point shot bounced off the rim at the final buzzer, and the Sun moved one win from clinching a playoff berth.

"That had to be a fun game for the fans," Thibault said. "I thought Diana's last shot was going in. It looked straight."

Taurasi thought it had a chance, too.

"Yeah, I did think (it might)," she said. "It didn't come off as smoothly as I wanted off my hands so you get a big brick."

Kara Lawson scored seven of her 14 points in the final 43.8 seconds for Connecticut (18-10).

Lawson snapped an 86-86 tie with a 3 and made four free throws in the final 13 seconds. Her two free throws with three seconds left gave the Sun the three-point lead.

"I was excited (to make the 3-pointer)," Lawson said. "But the first thing I thought was I've got to sprint back because at that point I was guarding Taurasi and they can throw it ahead and she can shoot a quick 3. I was thinking, 'Find her. Find her quick.'"

Taurasi and Penny Taylor had 26 points apiece for the Mercury (15-12). They combined to score Phoenix's last 15 points.

The Sun were down 86-81 with 3:26 remaining in the fourth period before they used an 11-0 run to take a 92-86 lead with 13.1 seconds left.

"We didn't have the best possessions down the stretch and in games like this half court offense wins these games," Taurasi said. "I think that is pretty evident in most close games that you watch, half-court offense execution either wins or loses the game and today we didn't have it."

Kalana Greene and Renee Montgomery had 14 points apiece for the Sun.

Phoenix scored the last six points of the first half to take a 47-44 lead at halftime.

The Mercury made five of their first nine 3-point attempts and led 31-25 after one period.

The teams combined to attempt 43 3s. Phoenix was 10-for-25 (40 percent), and Connecticut 6-for-18 (33 percent).